Salon Contemporary is offering emerging, innovative and passionate artists out there a chance to display their work in the creative hub of Notting Hill!Artist of the Week’ is a new and exciting competition, with the opportunity for one selected artist each week to have their work featured on our website in the run up to our AoW Christmas Exhibition. The winning candidate will then be offered a residency in London’s West End! We’re calling on artists from all fields including the visual arts, performance, dance, film, theatre, animation and music!

VIEW THEIR WORKS, VOTE FOR YOUR FAVOURITE AND COME SEE THE SPECTACULAR EXHIBITION, OPENING DECEMBER 1ST!!!

The exhibiting artists 'Artist of the Week: The Exhibition' are:
Akleria * Alyona Larinova * Dragana Jurisic * Helen Gorill



Tuesday 16 November 2010

An interview with Hester Jones - AoW, November 15th

What's your favourite girls name?As I don't particularly have any favourite names I'll choose the names of two artists I really admire so.... Sophie (Calle), the French artist...I like this name for it's meaning also which is Wisdom.

What's your favourite boys name?and Sidney (Nolan), the Australian artist whose work I love

If you could use one word to describe yourself, what would it be?A dreamer

Do you prefer film or theatre?Film

Are you a good cook?  If yes, what is your best meal? If no, what's your worst cooking disaster?Not really! Luckily my Brazilian husband is a great cook though! My worst cooking disaster was cooking pasta when I lived in Italy for Italians, as they are quite particular about their pasta - it has to be exactly right!

What made you want to become an artist/photographer?As I come from a fine art background, both parents are artists I suppose it was my destiny, at the age of 5 minutes old my father took my first portrait (see image below), and my mother inspired me more than anyone else to be an artist... I started photography quite late at the age of 30 when my father gave me one of his cameras a Nikon F3 whilst I lived in Napoli Italy, which was a very inspiring place to take photographs, and he said to himself "she won't have a clue how to use this camera" I have since proved him wrong!

Favourite memory from your time at the University of Bologna.  What did you study?Bologna is a magical city, I loved walking below all the porticos which serve as great concrete umbrellas when it's raining. I studied the Erasmas Language programme, whilst also researching for my thesis on one of the most amazing authors ever Italo Calvino. I also studied Neo-realist cinema so I have fond memories of watching such films as The Bicycle Thieves.

What's been your most successful/exciting exhibition/project so far?I would say the most successful project so far has been my most recent one CALL YOURSELF A MOTHER, the maternal and mother/child relationship is a subject I personally find very interesting and am continuing to research for new work I am making. As part of my final MA project it is has definitely so far been the most challenging. I recently took part in an exhibition called 'Home Truths' at the Brighton Photo Fringe which was a very exciting venture to be part of.


A Baby Hester

No comments:

Post a Comment