Salon Contemporary is offering emerging, innovative and passionate artists out there a chance to display their work in the creative hub of Notting Hill!Artist of the Week’ is a new and exciting competition, with the opportunity for one selected artist each week to have their work featured on our website in the run up to our AoW Christmas Exhibition. The winning candidate will then be offered a residency in London’s West End! We’re calling on artists from all fields including the visual arts, performance, dance, film, theatre, animation and music!

VIEW THEIR WORKS, VOTE FOR YOUR FAVOURITE AND COME SEE THE SPECTACULAR EXHIBITION, OPENING DECEMBER 1ST!!!

The exhibiting artists 'Artist of the Week: The Exhibition' are:
Akleria * Alyona Larinova * Dragana Jurisic * Helen Gorill



Saturday 20 November 2010

An Interview with Helen Gorrill



Q:  What is your signature drink?   
A:  Easy: any red wine will do.

Q:  Can you reveal a secret about your hometown?  
A:  With pleasure, I can give you a few!  I live in an isolated rural community that isn’t the rural idyll it seems. It’s mono-cultural and ruled by the small-minded.   And people don’t talk to me much because I’m a single parent and they don’t like what I do with ink nor prosthetic limbs, and I’m not the asexual being you have to be in order to be accepted into such a community!

Q:  Where is your next travel destination?  
A:  I’m going to Paris with my boyfriend in November, via Erotica 2010 in London. 

Q:  What are your top 3 desserts?
A;  Nigella’s Pain au chocolate pudding (my speciality lol), sticky toffee pudding, and death by chocolate.

Q:  What’s most played in your music collection? 
Lily Allen. Mazzie Starr. Jazz.

Q:  What is your favourite song lyric and who is it by? 
A:  'When your halo slips for good,/ You’ll have to wear your hood'...(Iain Brown)

Q:  What’s your best memory from university?  
A:  Graduating (drawing degree) with the best peer group ever. And walking out of the ensuing degree (Fine Art) because I found it the opposite of what art’s meant to be about – it was way too restrictive and repressive at my particular university. Standing up for what I believed in was the best feeling ever.

Q:  Where’s your local ‘hang out’? 
A:  I live in the middle of nowhere and I’m barred from the only local pub (long story!).

Q:  What are your October 2010 highlights? 
A:  I’ve done quite a lot of magazine interviews recently and my work’s going to be featured in a couple of articles, which is great to see something on paper, I’m so grateful...Work-wise, I have lots of different projects on the go: I’ll be continuing to work on my ink ‘new generation dominatrix’ paintings, I’m also making another sculptural piece with the prosthetic limbs and using embroidery in lieu of paint on huge canvas panels.

Q:  Who do you think gets the worst deal, girls or guys, and why?  
A:  In theory, girls get the worst deal because we live in a society where biological differences reinforce patriarchy; and we’re also moulded by scripts for male power (looking at the bible and much of popular culture).  I think things have shifted slightly with the rise of ‘raunch culture’, but I still believe girls have to work harder for what they want (which actually isn’t necessarily a bad thing).

Q:  How do you make the most of your womanly powers of persuasion?
A:  Ha ha. Well my studio is filled with all sorts of scary-looking props for my dominatrix paintings.

Q: If you could only use one word to describe yourself what would it be?  
A:  Naughty!

Q:  Which magazines do you regularly read and why?  
A:  Elle, Harpers Bazaar and Elle Deco for style, Modern Painters for art, A-N for opportunities, Skin Two for inspiration and Viz because it’s genius.

No comments:

Post a Comment