Salon Contemporary is offering emerging, innovative and passionate artists out there a chance to display their work in the creative hub of Notting Hill!Artist of the Week’ is a new and exciting competition, with the opportunity for one selected artist each week to have their work featured on our website in the run up to our AoW Christmas Exhibition. The winning candidate will then be offered a residency in London’s West End! We’re calling on artists from all fields including the visual arts, performance, dance, film, theatre, animation and music!

VIEW THEIR WORKS, VOTE FOR YOUR FAVOURITE AND COME SEE THE SPECTACULAR EXHIBITION, OPENING DECEMBER 1ST!!!

The exhibiting artists 'Artist of the Week: The Exhibition' are:
Akleria * Alyona Larinova * Dragana Jurisic * Helen Gorill



Tuesday 7 December 2010

Jennifer Ross' Artist of the Week Interview

1. What is your signature drink?

-Savanna

2. Which is the best exhibition you have ever been to and why?

- Candice Breitz, 'Inner + Outer Space' at Temporäre Kunsthalle, Berlin. I found it totally hypnotic.

3. What did you enjoy about your degree the most?

- My Erasmus exchange to Rotterdam in the 2nd year, I wouldn't be where I am today without that experience. I had my first exhibition there at Het Platfond.

4. If you could describe yourself in one work what would it be?

-Ooo! That’s tough, I've no idea. But my friend suggested 'determined' or 'witty'.

5. What is your favorite thing to eat over Christmas?

-Extra crispy roast potatoes

6. If you were stuck in a deserted island and you could have three things from home, what would they be?

-iPhone
-Mac book pro
-Internet
(I'm assuming there's a power source on the island)

7. Where is your local hang out?

-Broadway cinema

8. What is your favorite film and why?

-I've never had a favorite film; it always depends on my mood. But the most influential film I've seen was Renzo Martens, Episode 3. I've seen this film about 4 times now, and each time is a different experience, however it never fails to shock me and leave me wondering about the nature of mankind. It was influential because it lead to me explore my obsession with the documentary, the promise of knowledge, the idea that knowledge could expand my world. Thus leading me to consider how knowledge can gives us freedom but also constrain and limit our possibilities.

9. If you were not an artist, what do you think you would have chosen as a career path?

- I was studying to be a doctor, however Science is incredibly boring and so I switched to Fine Art. So probably a doctor, or possibly a vet.

10. What was highlight of 2010 for you?

- Career wise would be being selected for the UK Young Artist Biennial. Personally it would be the city break to Budapest in the summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment